Thursday, October 4, 2012

Grendel Creative Piece

Grendel Creative Piece - Write a survivor's account of one of Grendel's attacks

     It was my first night in Heorot after our mead gathering.  Of course, I was scared to be chosen as one of the new guards.  Stories have spread across the lands and across the seas of the creature from hell who haunts these corridors.  We have been attacked by this creature several times.  I dared not expose myself to such horrors, but when I was called, it was a matter of honor.  No man shall call me a coward.  I will die to live in honor and be remembered nobly.
     I prepared myself for sleep, but took any necessary precautions should the hall be attacked.  I slept in a dream state of constant night terrors.  I could see the creature; he haunted my dreams.  There is blood dripping off his face and running down the walls, and all I can do is cower in fear for my life.  I wake to an earth rumble; the world could be at an end.  The high oak doors burst open and shock spread throughout the hall.  "Grendel!" some yell.
     Mass chaos, I know not what to do.  A few men charge the creature from hell, but in vain.  They are knocked aside, left unconscious out of battle.  One man is picked up, ripped in half.  His blood is sucked up and bones cleaned.  Red drips off the face of the creature, completely hysterical.  It appears as though the creature attempts to speak our language, but it is merely babble.  I summon the strength and courage to pick up my spear and quickly but cautiously advance upon the creature.  He tears open another of my comrades, and turns to greet me.
     "Hello, foul creature.  Go back to the abyss!"  I jab my spear forward with no effect.  He smacks me aside and slaps me silly.  He acts playfully as a cat plays with a mouse until it dies.  Blood pulses through my veins and even drips down my own face.  I prepare to embrace my passage over the great divide.  I am not like those who weep for more time to live life in a new way; instead I sing my death song like a hero going home.
     The next moment I remember is waking up to the faces of my own kin.  My brothers in arms stand beside.  Few I notice are no longer present.  I help to clean up the mead hall and replace the high oak doors.  What creature of the shadows attacked us?  Why has God forsaken us?

5 comments:

  1. I really liked reading this piece because it flowed nicely and was interesting to see a different story to a Grendel attack, since I also did this prompt. I really liked the lines "He acts playfully as a cat plays with a mouse until it dies. Blood pulses through my veins and even drips down my own face." The simile and descriptions really help to visualize while reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great descriptive story. I love the adjectives you use to portray the cryptic situation your character is about to endure. Your words flow beautifully as if they were lyrics to a soothing song. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The writing of this piece is really good, and it's so easy to read and follow. It kept me interested the whole time and I wanted to keep reading more. The detail and image it painted for such a short piece was awesome, and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed how you incorporated how the soldier felt before the attack as well as during. You descriptive language was phenomenal and spot on to give readers a vivid image. You post has great flow and is quite easy to follow. I wish it was longer because it was so fantastic. The only line I thought was too cliche was "he acts playfully as a cat plays with a mouse until it dies." Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The change from past to present when the attack begins pulls the reader further into the piece quickly. Nicely done, as are all your posts.

    ReplyDelete